Here are 5 tips to help you stay sober as the holidays approach. If you are an alcoholic, staying sober is one of the hardest things you can do in your life, staying sober will be the hardest, and you need all the help you can get. Read these tips, one of them can save your life.
1. Stay away from slippery places. Only attend a function where alcohol is served if you have a legitimate reason to be there.
2. Don’t depend on someone else to drive you home after the occasion. Drive your own car and make sure you park so that you are not blocked. If you don’t have a car, make sure you have a taxi ticket and a cell phone. You should also have your sponsor’s phone number.
3. Know what you are going to drink before you arrive and ask for something that comes in a can or bottle that you can open yourself. Stay away from ‘mocktails’ or ‘near beer’!
4. If you have to put down your drink to use the bathroom, or for another reason, get a new one. Do not pick up your old drink, it may have been tampered with and you also risk taking the wrong drink.
5. Be very aware of everything that goes through your mouth. Many Christmas treats are laced with alcohol. Liquor-filled chocolates, rum balls, tiramisu are relapses waiting to happen. Remember that you are allergic to alcohol, and even a little bit can trigger your physical desire. You may not even know why, if you were careless with what you ate.
Be good to yourself. You deserve to be happy, joyous, and free, and live to see another season, and the best gift you can give your loved ones is a healthy you.