There are more than 150 recognized dog breeds that come in different sizes, colors, and personalities. While this is not necessarily a list of the top ten dog breeds, below are the ten most popular breeds in America in 2008 according to the American Kennel Club.
- Labrador Retrievers – The Labrador Retriever is a large breed of dog. They are consistently the most popular dog breed in the United States and Canada. Labradors, as they are commonly called, are generally intelligent, athletic dogs with good temperaments. Labrador Retriever originated in Newfoundland, Canada.
- Yorkshire Terriers (Yorkies) – Yorkshire Terrier dogs make excellent companions. The Yorkshire Terrier is an xx-small breed of dog but has a bold personality. Often referred to as Yorkies, the breed originated in Yorkshire, England, in the mid-19th century. Yorkies have long, silky coats that require an average amount of grooming.
- German Shepherd Dogs – German Shepherd Dogs were originally bred in Germany in the late 19th century. The German Shepherd is a large breed of dog. The breed is generally obedient and intelligent, causing them to be used by many police and military organizations around the world. German Shepherds are active, hardworking dogs.
- Golden Retrievers – Golden Retriever dogs were originally bred in Scotland during the 19th century as a hunting dog. The Golden Retriever is a medium-sized dog breed. The breed is often used by police, rescue and tourist organizations due to its intelligence and athleticism. Golden Retrievers are friendly, kind, and trusting.
- Beagles – Beagle dogs were originally bred in Great Britain around 1830 as hunting dogs. The Beagle is a breed of small dog and a member of the hound family. The breed requires a small amount of pet grooming and a moderate amount of exercise.
- Boxers – The Boxer is a medium-sized dog breed. The breed was originally developed in Germany in the late 19th century. The Boxer has a smooth, short-haired coat. Boxers require a moderate amount of exercise and grooming.
- Dachshunds – The Dachshund was originally bred for badger hunting during the 15th century. The breed is commonly known for its short legs and relatively long body. Dachshunds are playful dogs, but they are also known for their stubborn personalities. They require a small amount of exercise and a moderate amount of exercise.
- Bulldogs – Bulldogs are known for their thick shoulders and head, and the creases on their faces. Bulldogs were originally bred in England in the 16th century and are believed to be descendants of the mastiff. They are a medium sized breed of dog and require an average amount of grooming.
- Poodles – The poodle is a medium-sized breed of dog that originated in Germany during the 15th century. The poodle is known as one of the most intelligent dog breeds. Their coat is long and dense and is commonly styled in a fashion for dog shows, making the breed very recognizable.
- Shih Tzu – The Shih Tzu is an xx-small breed of dog that originated in China. The Shih Tzu is one of the oldest dog breeds. They are characterized by their short snout and long, silky fur. Shih Tzus require an average amount of grooming and a minimal amount of exercise.
We hope you find this list of the top ten dog breeds helpful.