We get questions about the California 433a process quite frequently at our office. In this article I will answer the following questions about manufactured homes in California:

  1. What is California Form 433a?
  2. What does a 433a document registered in California accomplish?
  3. What is the process for filing a California 433a?

So, let’s go ahead and dive right in…

1. What is a California 433a?

In California, to convert the manufactured home to real property, Form 433a must be filed. Generally speaking, the registered 433A is required by the mortgage lender and/or Title Company. Form 433A is a California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) form. Also known as “Installing a Manufactured Home on a Foundation System.”

The California Department of Housing and Community Development requires manufactured homeowners who place their units on foundation systems to file a form known as a Form 433A with HCD. The form must be completed at the time a building permit is issued. After the facility has been approved and the same day the certificate of occupancy has been issued, HCD will file the Form 433A with the county recorder’s office. Therefore, a preliminary title report should reveal whether a Form 433A was filed.

2. What does a 433a document recorded in California accomplish?

When completed by the governing building division and filed with the City/County Recorder, the form certifies that the manufactured home was installed on a California-approved permanent foundation or foundation system and acts as an investment instrument (collateral) for the mortgage lender, the Business Title and even the owner.

Once registered, you ensure that:

  • the prefab house has been placed on a suitable foundation. After this, it is no longer personal property, but real property subject to real estate taxes.
  • a professional engineer, licensed in the State of California, has certified that the foundation has been installed in accordance with the appropriate standards.

3. What is the process for filing and registering a 433a in California?

In general terms, this means: 1) applying for a permit, 2) installing an engineering modification, 3) obtaining an engineering compliance certificate, 4) inspection by the governing building department, and finally, 5) filing the 433a document. .

For completeness, prior to installation of the manufactured home on the foundation system, the owner or a licensed contractor must obtain a building permit from the appropriate enforcement agency (city, county, etc.). To obtain a permit, the owner or contractor must first provide the following:

  1. Written evidence that the owner owns, has title to, or is purchasing the real property where the mobile home will be installed on a foundation system.
  2. Written evidence acceptable to the enforcement agency that the registered owner owns the manufactured home.
  3. If it is a new manufactured home on a new foundation, the required plans and specifications must be designed by a California licensed engineer. If it is an older manufactured home on an existing foundation, a certification from a California licensed engineer will be required; this may require the design of a modification to meet the appropriate standards.
  4. Applicable permit fees.